Thursday, June 14, 2012

March Into The Sea by Modest Mouse




Something about the way Mr. Brock belts this out gives me chills. Part of it is most assuredly the subject matter. Lines like "Give me forced health until I wish death on myself" and "Treat me like disease, like the rats and the fleas" evoke such a powerful sense of bitter nostalgia (like most songs composed by Modest Mouse). The switch between screaming and whispering vocals create a stunning juxtaposition. First there's anger, frustration, and desperation. Then, without warning, exhausted acceptance sets in. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Honestly, the way the song is put together reminds me of every fight I've had with a significant other. To describe such a passionate (not all passion is good) scene musically is difficult, to say the least. However, Modest Mouse pulls it off while making it seem easy.

Now you can debate the "true" meaning of the song, but unless you are Isaac Brock or have a psychic link with him, it's really open to interpretation.  As is all music, literature, art, film, and whatnot. Though I wouldn't mind hearing what the song means to you.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment